Wednesday, March 2, 2016

"You're a mom." -- the answer to...everything.



Have you heard that line, "you're a mom" and suddenly that statement is apparently an answer.... To everything.

I have recently realized just how frequently one of my coworkers says this to me. However, it is more in the context that I share stories about my kids --- and am personally realizing, inadvertently, too much. This did get me reflecting though on just how frequently those three words have become such a prevalent statement in a variety of contexts. For example:

My husband and I were talking about getting things done around the house with the kids... I was frustrated and finally, directly, asked, "how am I able to do this --- and this and this, then?" His response, "you're a mom." Long pause. He then continued, "you guys are super human. I don't know how you do it, you just do." It that supposed to be a compliment?

Imagine a casual dinner conversation... There is a transition of topics that you don't notice but your friend without children catches on without reservation where as, you are totally oblivious:
Me: interesting...son, put your penis back in your pants... So, what other opportunities are you looking into?
Friend: ummmm.... That's obviously not the first time you've said that.
Me: Sorry, said which?
Friend: son...
Me: oh, that. That's the phase were in now so I don't notice it anymore. Maybe I should be more aware of the words coming out of my mouth..."
Friend: nah, you're a mom.

Have you experienced the "you're a mom" response? Share your story in the comments below.

Add more in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment